Monday, July 18, 2011

Unexpected Perspective

This past weekend Faith wanted to have a girls night and so she and I “camped out” in our back yard…in the van. Matt loved how I had “MacGyvered” everything. I had electricity hooked up for my breathing machine and for a fan as we would have the windows closed to keep out mosquitoes. Faith decided that Charlie would need to be with us as he would miss sleeping with her, so along he came.


We spent time as a family by the camp fire singing and roasting hotdogs, then off to bed. The boys went inside to comfy beds and AC and Faithy and I bedded down for the evening in the van.
Well, Faith had no problems getting all tucked in with Charlie inside her sleeping bag. I mustard around the front seat and had one leg over the steering wheel and one resting on Faith’s seat. However, Charlie did not want my leg there and he pushed it off. I attempted to get comfortable, yet to no avail. So I decided to go to the back and put down the second row seat, except for where my machine lay. I tilted the third row back and then propped my feet and legs on the second row. I found myself adjusting pillows and trying to find a way to rest.
I finally fell asleep….many times. Needless to say it was a restless night, but worth it for my daughter.


As I laid there my mind began to race as I began thinking of how many people in this world live in their vehicles or on the streets because they lack housing. Either due to their own choices or something out of their control.


The next morning as our girl weekend continued, Faith and I had a long discussion over how blessed we are. As we talked she was reminded of the homeless man we saw in Cincinnati who was sleeping behind a dumpster, and another we saw reach in the trash can and pull out leftover food and began to eat it.


How many of us go day to day and complain about the food we receive, or that it is either too cold or too warm in the house? What about complaining because we cannot find our favorite pair of shoes or clothes, or that someone did not do the laundry or take the garbage out? What about complaining that someone drank the last soda and there is only water to drink? This list could go on. Things that truly have no eternal impact. How many of us get caught up and take for granted how blessed we really are?


Faithy and I spent time talking to God and thanking Him for all we have, and it was quite a list.
Sometimes we need raw perspective. Here's a thought, go on a camping trip in your car for a day…you’ll find it.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Philippians 2:14
Matthew 25:31-46

No comments: